A weekly wrap of the things you should know in basketball.
* The New Orleans Hornets are expected to change their name to the New Orleans Pelicans, perhaps as early as the 2013-14 season. They’re havin’ a laugh, no?
* At a Halloween party Tim Duncan and Tony Parker pointed some fake guns at a guy dressed up as NBA referee Joey Crawford. Pretty funny (not sure David Stern would agree though).
* Kevin Durant misses what could have been a dunk for the ages.
* Charles Barkley interviews Gregg Popovich during the Heat/Spurs game in Miami. And he gets ‘Popped’.
* More hilarity from Rasheed Wallace.
* Timmy D lays the wood on Marc Gasol. That’s vintage.
* Allen Iverson is buried in debt and about to lose his Atlanta home to foreclosure. Maybe it’s just me, but I’ve never understood this – why do multi million dollar athletes need a mortgage to buy a house?
* The Anderson Varejao dilemma.
* Check out this post game interview session with Dwight Howard after the Lakers loss to the Magic. Basically he’s just refusing to answer any questions about Orlando. His immaturity is off the charts.
* Amir Johnson goes to great lengths to decorate his Christmas tree.
* Gallo goes coast to coast against the Lakers.
* The Chinese Basketball Association makes all its players and coaches sit a ‘rules test’, designed to test their knowledge of the league’s rules. As Tracy McGrady said, it’s “nonsense”.
* Reports suggest that Derrick Rose “could be just weeks away from practicing” with the team. That being said, the Bulls would be nuts to rush him back.
* I am a bit late to the party on this one but if you enjoy listening to fascinating conversations about basketball, specifically from the Michael Jordan Era, then check out the excellent Aussie blog In All Airness. Adam’s podcasts with Bill Wennington and Christian Laettner, among others, are well worth a listen.